The beauty of Tulips

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sitting by the fire.

Wednesday night the boys and I made a fire in our portable fire pit in our driveway.  It was such a nice day out and to end with a fire was relaxing.  Our daughter spend the night at a friends house.  I know our lives get pretty hectic and children can be challenging, but it is a very strange feeling when one of them isn't around!  Alex also got her viola Wednesday.  She was super excited to have one of her own.  She's been waiting and waiting to get playing that again.

Thursday we all went to town as Alex and I had a meeting.  Jason came and picked up the boys when he was finished with work.  They just did some errands.  We met up after the meeting but they decided to go home and we went to the music store.  We bought three viola lesson books, and a few other supplies.  They had an Irish whistle there with a DVD instructional guide on how to play it.  I asked if they could hold it, because I really wanted it and it was the last one.  They said they could hold it till next week, so I'll go early in the week and pick it up.  When we got home she was all over tuning her viola so she could practice.  She had some difficulty with tuning it as the strings would not tighten, turns out one of the screws was slipping.  I put electrical tape on the bottom of it to hopefully prevent the slipping and it seemed to work because she was able to tune it.  Jacob had a friend over for a few hours and they had fun playing games etc.

Friday, which is still my today, the kids and spent the evening outside.  I swept the garage and parts of the driveway.  Alex changed all the burned out light-bulbs in the garage including the ones on the garage opener.  Our lights are pretty high up.  I tried to do it, but got a little freaked out with how high I would be on the ladder.  Alex though, she just climbed right up there to the top and went to work.  We also had another fire in our portable fire-pit, but we had more wood tonight and the kids tried their best at roasting marshmallows on a stick.  Our roasting sticks are in our camper and we don't have that her yet.  It was super nice to sit around the fire with the kids and have that bonding time with them.  After that we came in and watched 127 Hours with James Franco.  It was a pretty good movie, but again it is based on a true story, which I always find great to watch.  After that we watched Megamind.  The kids were really into that, which they should be since it's a kids movie.  I was doing other things like making brownies and laundry, so my viewing was here and there.

Now I'm blogging and then off to bed.  I do want to say something about what's happening in Japan right now.  I felt when this all happened a week ago that over 10,000 people would perish and when the worries began about one of their Nuclear plants, I had a feeling like we could be looking at another Chernobyl incident.  That happened in 1986, but I don't remember much about it.  I hope they can get the reactors cooled down in time to prevent another disaster of that magnitude again.  I've watched a lot of video clips from the tsunami there.  WOW!  So powerful and shocking to watch the power of the water ripping inland destroying anything it touches.  One clip showed people in vehicles trying to get away from it, but you could see they could not.  The water ripped into their vehicles and washed them away.  It is difficult to watch and hear about everything happening over there.  I feel very sad for them.  So I ask that we continue to keep them all in our thoughts and prayers as they move forward and continue to rescue and recover the victims of this multiple disaster.

Some other prayer requests I have are for my friend Joelle, who is continuing her fight against breast cancer, the Bainbridge family who lost their only son in October 2010 at the age of 16 from injuries received in an automobile accident.  Also for our military who are out there everyday fighting for our freedoms, and for everyone who is fighting an illness or disease.

Till next time...take care of yourself!