The beauty of Tulips

Monday, April 18, 2011

Glasses

This Friday will mark a transition in my life from reading glasses to bifocals, from wearing glasses only when I needed to, to wearing them during every waking moment.  I've had reading glasses for almost two years, but a few months ago I began noticing that some of my distant sight was hazy.  I held off for those months on seeing the eye doctor.  I made an appointment, but cancelled it.  After a suggestion from my hubby I made an appointment with his eye doctor.  She was really nice.  I was a little stunned when she told me I needed bifocals.  The first thing that came to mind were my parents.  I remember their bifocals quite clearly growing up, with the separate lens on the bottom and then the rest of the lenses.  I was starting to feel old.  I'm not even 40 yet.  I've gone from reading glasses to now needing bifocals.  Not to mention I just started using reading glasses in the fall of 2009 at the age of 38.  For 38 years I didn't wear glasses, which is strange because both my parents have them.  For some reason though, my brother and I seemed to have good eyesight, not requiring glasses, until now.  My brother still is glass-free.

Here is the place where I went for my eye exam and glasses: Howlin Vision on South Western Ave in Sioux Falls,  SD.


So now came the task of finding a pair of frames.  I tried on a lot of them, but it was this one that both of us, the frame lady and I really liked:


They were a bit expensive, so before deciding this was the frame I indeed wanted, my hubby and I traveled to some other eye places like Lens Crafters, EyeMart, Wal-Mart, and Vision World.  I couldn't quite find a frame I liked, that looked as good as we felt that one did.  So we went back to Howlin Vision and purchased these frames.  We added the anti-glare as well as transition lenses to the prescription.  Because we were getting progressive lenses, the kind where you don't see the line, it all just kind of blends in together, the cost was more for the lenses, just like the frames.  In all, we spent a shiny penny on these babies.  I added the transitions because it made sense to have them act like sunglasses too, since I would be wearing them all day long.

They should be on Friday and I can't wait.  I'm excited to get them, even though I feel a little older with the bifocals, but excited for the fact that I will be able to see better all around!